"A portrait is not a likeness. The moment an emotion or fact is transformed into a photograph it is no longer a fact but an opinion. There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph. All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth." - Richard Avedon

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Urban Vernacular Signage

For my second week of images I have taken pictures of Vernacular signs in my area. Three of the images were taken in Redruth, Barncoose Hospital in the early evening and two were taken around Truro in the late afternoon. All of the images were taken on a Lumix G1 and the exposure varied for each of the images. The following images are my favourite images from the shoot which have been edited for this blog. To see the rest of my shoot click here.

"10 MPH"
Taken: 28th February 2010
This first image was taken on the first day of shooting. It was taken at Barncoose Hospital and was taken near the end of the shoot just before the sun set. I took an image of this sign because I liked how worn out the edges of the sign were. After the shoot I opened the image on photoshop and adjust the saturation of the red so that the edge of the sign seemed more worn out. I also desaturated the background and increased the contrast of the sign so that the sign would stand out more from the background. I think that this image works well as 90% of the image is taken up by the sign which makes it stand out more. There wasn't any direct lighting on the sign as it was in the shadow of a building. I believe it works well without direct light as if there was any light shining onto the sign there would be a glare and it wouldn't look as old and distressed.

"Don't Enter"
Taken: 28th February 2010
I took this image on the way back from the photoshoot, I took this picture as it caught my eye as I walked past. I felt that there was some irony to the image as the 'No Entry' on the sign is actually in front of an entrance to a hospital yard. I also liked how the red stood out from all of the dull greens and browns surrounding the sign. Once I had uploaded this image I went into photoshop and de-saturated the colours around the sign to make the red stand out more in the frame. When I was taking this image I wanted to make sure that the viewer could see the irony that I could when taking the image. I made sure that you could see the entrance and the yard in the background but at the same time I didn't want to much of it showing as that would complicate the image, which would make the image less visually appealing.

"Clean It Up"
Taken: 1st March 2010
This image is my favourite out of the five which I have posted. Whilst walking around the residential areas of Truro I came across alot of these signs and I took photos of about 5 or 6 of them. Some were very new and had no signs of damage whereas, like this one, there were a few which were weather damaged and broken. I chose to use this image on my blog as I liked how the sign has become damaged, the sun has faded the yellows and reds and dirt and grim has made the edges grimey and darkened. Once the image was uploaded to the compture I put it into photoshop to edit. The first thing I did was de-saturate the image to give it a darker and more damaged look, I then increased the contrast as when I de-saturated the image the colours seemed flat and the image didn't seem as visually appealing. I feel that this image works well as the sign in the middle stands out from the background but at the same time doesn't seem out of place in comparison to the rest of the image.

"School Time"
Taken: 1st March 2010
This image is probably my second favourite out of the five images that I have posted. The reason which I like this image so much is because the sign stands out so much from the background. When I took this image there was already a contrast between the sign and the background but I edited this image in photoshop before I uploaded it to the blog as I wanted to create more of a contrast between the two. The first thing that I did in photoshop was desaturate the bush in the background to try and make the sign stand out more, after doing that I still felt like the sign needed to stand out more so I slightly saturated the red on the sign. I feel that this makes the images more appealing and makes it seem less flat, like it was before. I think that this image is successful as the triangular shape of the sign takes up the upper half of images but is slightly to the left of the frame which makes it not seem as perfectly set out in the frame.

"Around And Around"
Taken: 28th February 2010
Out of all the images which I chose to put on the blog for this shoot I would say that this is my least favorite of the five. I took this image on the first day of the shoot and it was one of the first images which I took. I chose to add this image to the set as it gave a nice contrast to the other four images. This is because the other images have duller and more de-saturated tones to them yet this image is vibrant which makes it stand out from the rest. The part of the image which I like the most is the sky as it starts off darker at the top of the frame but as you look down the image the sky gradiates to a lighter blue. Once I took this image I uploaded it to my computer and then opened it in photoshop to make a few small changes. The only things which I changed was I cropped the image slightly at the edges to centre the sign more and then I up the saturation of the blue to make it stand out more. I feel that this is a good image as the pole creates a good leading line which draws you up to main part of the image, the sign.

When taking these images I wanted to try and capture the variety of different signs which we can see in our everyday life but don't pay much attention to. I feel pleased with the images which I have managed to create and hope to try and do another shoot like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment